Do You Need Planning Permission For Cladding?
In most cases, you do not need to apply for planning permission for repairs, maintenance and minor improvements such adding external cladding to your house, provided that the materials you are using are of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of your house. There are a few exceptions to the rule however, and if the building you want to add cladding to falls into any of the following categories, you will need planning permission:
- A Listed Building
- Conservation Area
- National Park
- Area of Outstanding National Beauty
- The Broads
This isn't to say that you cannot get cladding on your building if your home falls into any of these categories, it just means you need to seek the appropriate planning permission. The reason you do not need planning permission to add external cladding to your property is that cladding falls under your ‘Permitted Development Rights’ which have been granted by Parliament. These rights do not apply to flats and maisonettes.
In some cases, Permitted Development Rights may have been withdrawn by local authorities issuing an ‘Article 4’ directions. If you are unsure whether you are affected by this direction, you can contact your local planning authority to check.
Building Regulations: Cladding
Building regulations approval may be required when replacing cladding on your house. If 25% or more of the external wall is re-clad, regulations would usually apply. As external walls are considered to be thermal elements, you might have to upgrade the thermal insulation of that wall when cladding. Cladding must also meet fire safety standards.
We provide cladding which has gained BBA Certification and has been recognised by the A+ rating under the Code for Sustainable Homes. Our cladding is also British Standards Registered, so you can buy with confidence from us.
Items you will need
- Shiplap Cladding Butt Joint - 150mm White£0.95 £1.14
- Shiplap Cladding - 150mm x 5mtr White - Pack of 5£57.86 £69.43
- Shiplap Cladding - 150mm x 5mtr Rosewood - Pack of 5£122.06 £146.47
- Shiplap Cladding - 150mm x 5mtr Golden Oak - Pack of 5£122.06 £146.47
- Shiplap Cladding - 150mm x 5mtr Black Ash - Pack of 5£122.06 £146.47
- Shiplap Cladding - 150mm x 5mtr Anthracite Grey - Pack of 5£122.06 £146.47
- Weatherboard Cladding - 170mm x 5mtr White£23.90 £28.68