How To Fix Polycarbonate Sheets To A Greenhouse
Polycarbonate is becoming an increasingly popular material for greenhouses, mainly due to its better insulation and resistance properties. Being much stronger than glass and with the flexibility to simply cut to size, polycarbonate sheets are an ideal solution for greenhouse walls and roofs.
- Make sure that the UV protected surface of the sheet (marked on the film of the sheet) is facing the outside of the greenhouse. 50mm of protective film should be peeled back from the edges of the sheet before you begin to install.
- It is essential to prevent the ingress of moisture, dust and insects by applying the appropriate tapes, closure and sealants. Blanking tape should be applied to the top and a breather tape should be applied to the bottom end of the sheet to allow air to move through freely, reducing the chance of condensation.
- All holes on the wooden panels should be drilled prior to polycarbonate sheet installation. The sheets can then be cut using a fine tooth circular saw or a hand saw.
- The roof panel should be installed on every timber support. You should fix these two components using stainless steel screws.
- Polycarbonate sheets should be installed with the ribs running in the direction of the slope and it is recommended that at least one of the ribs is securely clamped in the glazing system.
- At the eaves purlin additional fixing is necessary to prevent wind uplift and downslope slippage due to repeated thermal movement. One button per sheet width, centrally located between glazing bars should be sufficient.
- When drilling the sheet, make sure it is supported firmly underneath and do not drill within 4mm of the edge of the sheet.
We stock Multiwall Polycarbonate in a wide range of colours and styles, accompanied by a large selection of glazing bars and trims. We also stock solid polycarbonate sheets, acrylic sheets and door panel blanks, all perfect materials to use on your greenhouse.
Items you will need
- Polycarbonate Sheet Multiwall - 25mm x 700mm x 3.5mtr Solarguard£60.54 £50.45 Save 20% £75.67 £63.06
- Polycarbonate Sheet Multiwall - 25mm x 700mm x 2mtr Bronze/ Opal£34.58 £28.82 Save 20% £43.24 £36.03
- Polycarbonate Sheet Multiwall - 25mm x 700mm x 2.5mtr Solarguard£43.22 £36.02 Save 20% £54.04 £45.03
- Polycarbonate Sheet Twinwall - 10mm x 1000mm x 2mtr Bronze£24.10 £20.08 Save 20% £30.12 £25.10
- Polycarbonate Sheet Twinwall - 10mm x 800mm x 2mtr Clear£19.30 £16.08 Save 20% £24.12 £20.10
- Polycarbonate Sheet Twinwall - 10mm x 600mm x 3mtr Opal£21.70 £18.08 Save 20% £27.12 £22.60
- Polycarbonate Sheet Twinwall - 10mm x 600mm x 2mtr Clear£14.46 £12.05 Save 20% £18.07 £15.06
- Polycarbonate Sheet Twinwall - 10mm x 600mm x 2mtr Bronze£14.46 £12.05 Save 20% £18.07 £15.06